Pool Login

Private Messages

You are not logged in.

Guests: 19
Members: 2
Home arrow My Profile
Bob Dylan Message Board
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Re:RAMBLIN' JACK ELLIOTT THREAD (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 5
TOPIC: Re:RAMBLIN' JACK ELLIOTT THREAD
Warren (User)
Platinum Boarder
graph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:RAMBLIN' JACK ELLIOTT THREAD 12 Years, 9 Months ago  
Ramblin' Jack will be performing at 8:00pm on August 1st in South Yarmouth, MA. That date happens to be Elliott's 80th birthday.

http://www.localendar.com/cal?JSP=PublishedCalendar&mode=PUBLISH_PUBLIC&search_type=D0&start_date=08/01/11&calendar_id=364200

Two days previous, he will be performing at the Newport Folk Festival.

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Warren (User)
Platinum Boarder
graph
He'll ramble on: The Cultural Center of Cape Cod has added a second show for notable folksinger Ramblin' Jack Elliott. You can catch him at the South Yarmouth venue Aug. 1 and 2 at 7:30 p.m. as he marks his 80th birthday. [Note the apparent time change from the above post.] For tickets ($22 in advance), call 508-394-7100 or go to www.womr.org

http://www.barnstablepatriot.com/home2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25517&Itemid=42

Spotlight on the Arts: Ramblin' Jack Performs in Larkspur House Concert

I saw a "living legend" play guitar and sing in a local living room.

Ramblin' Jack Elliott in (house) concert

July 9th or 16th, in San Francisco, CA

Let's be frank; a lot of us are not that big on the stadium-concert thing anymore. Too crowded, too crazy, too hard to get to wherever it is, find parking, find a seat, and get home again. For some, it's even a hassle to drive into the city to stand in line at Bimbo's or whatnot.

It just got a little harder for me, I must say, now that I've fallen into the Acoustic Vortex. This is what Larkspur physician-musician-impresario Bruce Victor calls the house concerts he puts on every three weeks or so. More on him next time - I want to tell you about seeing Ramblin' Jack Elliott with fewer than 100 people in Victor's home last Saturday night.

A psychiatrist with a practice in San Francisco, Victor has a two-story, nautically narrow house on the little inlet formed by Corte Madera Creek just east of Piper Park. For the past five years, he's been inviting music lovers on his Evite list to come to performances, which take place in a long, skinny room with floor-to-ceiling windows facing Mount Tam (and, on those evenings, filled with folding chairs).

Normally, he says, within a few days some 35 to 55 people say yes - enticed by the $25 donation (wine and snacks included) and the chance to see stellar acoustic guitar players and other musicians in such congenial surroundings. One of his guests told him, "It's like a party with a concert thrown in."

For Ramblin' Jack, Victor reached the cutoff of 85 people in 16 hours. "It's the only time we had to do the Studio 54 thing," he says, "with a table manned by an attorney at the door."

"I'm not a cowboy, I just hang out with cowboys," Jack told us once seated with his Martin D-28 in the little stage area. "I'm not even a musician." No, he's just a Grammy-winning, National Medal of Arts-receiving, 40-plus-album-recording "American treasure" (President Bill Clinton), who traveled with Woody Guthrie and knew or knows everyone from Big Bill Broonzy to Bruce Springsteen.

"His tone of voice is sharp, focused and piercing," Bob Dylan wrote in Chronicles: Volume One. "He's so confident he makes me sick. All that and he plays the guitar effortlessly in a fluid flat-picking perfected style.... Most folk musicians waited for you to come to them. Jack went out and grabbed you."

Jack is still doing that at 80, and his audience in Larkspur - many of whom were there for the umpteenth time - could not have been more into it. He chose from what seemed a massive list of songs ("I'm looking at strange titles of songs I used to know," ) telling long, occasionally hilarious stories between them. One involved the word pyrography, "which is in an old cowboy song I might remember to sing later." Another time, he commented, "This is a long story I can tell is miring down into the mud, so fast forward" into a song - it was "San Francisco Bay Blues," or maybe "Don't Think Twice" or "With God on Our Side."

He only got stronger after the break (which included more of the ham and turkey wraps, fresh fruit and strawberry yogurt dip, fresh veggies and veggie dip, and all the wine or other drink you wanted, perhaps enjoyed on the spacious deck). A major highlight was Jack's rendition of a song by Scotsman Will Fyfe, complete with a great story told in a brogue so thick it took awhile to decipher the song's catch phrase and title, "I Belong to Glasgow." It was unforgettable, but you had to be there.

The next Acoustic Vortex performance, with guitarist and pianist Ruth Gerson, is July 29. If you're interested in being added to the Evite list, contact This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it .

http://larkspurcortemadera.patch.com/articles/spotlight-on-the-arts-ramblin-jack-performs-in-larkspur-house-concert

gossamerglenn (Visitor)
graphgraph
Birthdate:
i saw jack on his 78th birthday but now its wether to drive two hours after driving home for 6 hours since the folkfest sold out to see him again on his birthday im taking votes now!

gossamerglenn (Visitor)
graphgraph
Birthdate:
Re:RAMBLIN' JACK ELLIOTT THREAD 12 Years, 8 Months ago  
i will be attending the show on jacks birthday anyone else going?

Warren (User)
Platinum Boarder
graph
^
Doesn't look like it.

Ramblin' Jack at Newport, JL 30 2011

A 53:30 set is available as a download, courtesy of National Public Radio:

ETA - The sound gets fixed after about one minute. And btw, Pete Seeger shows up for a few ramshackle duets & philosophizing. I think you had to be there. Crowd loved it.

http://www.npr.org/2011/07/31/137182914/newport-folk-2011-ramblin-jack-elliott-live-in-concert

NPR, in a brief synopsis, included this error, not to mention misspelling Elliott's name:

A matter-of-fact singer with credibility to spare - the man used to ride the rails with Woody Guthrie, for heaven's sake - Elliott continues to release albums, the latest of which is 2009's A Stranger Here.

The above is an example of sloppy research and how myths are made. Elliott DID NOT "ride the rails with Woody Guthrie" as has been stated earlier in this thread. He made two major car trips with Guthrie: One out to California, and the other to Florida. I've heard Elliott at a gig telling about the only time he hopped a freight. He was alone, wound up in Texarkana, and was less than thrilled with the experience.

Mr. Elliott's hard core fans know he'd much rather be behind the wheel of a semi.

Last Edit: 2011/08/01 06:46 By Warren. Reason: see ETA
quanta (User)
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
hey Warren why didn't you post these Newport videos of your Xerxes
happy birthday Jack

[newportfolk] Ramblin' Jack Elliott & Pete Seeger sing "Hard Travelin"

1:33 - [newportfolk] Ramblin' Jack Elliott covers Dylan's "Don't Think Twice (It's Alright)"

Goodnight Irene with Pete S http://vimeo.com/27112009

Last Edit: 2011/08/01 07:39 By quanta.
Warren (User)
Platinum Boarder
graph
^
Because I don't want to do it all?

Actually, I sampled a couple of vids, quanta, and wasn't all that impressed with the video quality, but "Irene" did seem to be the best of the Jack and Pete collaborations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xerxes_I_of_Persia

Also: Xerxes, a series of record turntables from Roksan Audio (UK)

quanta (User)
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
i was teasing you about posting, youtube is so cool, like eyes and ears 'round the world and back in time

love your history, the wobblies taught woody taught jack taught bob taught us that huh

gossamerglenn (Visitor)
graphgraph
Birthdate:
his 80th birthday was unrealisticly incredible

gossamerglenn (Visitor)
graphgraph
Birthdate:
anyone go to both shows in capecod im curious about the comparison im pretty sick at the moment and just need a break from lying down so hopefully i get a response or if someone knows of a review from the birthday show

Warren (User)
Platinum Boarder
graph
Ramblin' Jack Marks Birthday In Style

By DANIEL SIDMAN
CONTRIBUTING WRITER
August 03, 2011 2:00 AM

SOUTH YARMOUTH [Massachusetts] - Even at age 80, Ramblin' Jack Elliott remains the consummate entertainer. The famed folk troubadour and two-time Grammy winner took to the stage on Monday, the day he became an octogenarian, in front of a packed house at the Cultural Center of Cape Cod.

He delighted the audience with an array of blues and folk tunes on his guitar, interspersed with humorous anecdotes acquired from his years of extensive traveling. Just off a performance at the Newport Folk Festival in Newport, R.I., Elliott ascended the stage sporting jeans, a cowboy hat and sunglasses. It quickly became evident that his voice hasn't lost its any of its charming luster and that he still retains all the vivacity and stage presence that endeared him to audiences in the first place.

Elliott opened his set with "San Francisco Bay Blues," the invigorating and upbeat but still heartbreaking tune by bluesman Jesse "The Lone Cat" Fuller.

After the opening number, Elliott talked briefly about his hitchhiking trip from New York City to the tip of the Cape in 1953 "to get away from Greenwich Village." In Provincetown he had a loaf of bread and a red onion for lunch because he heard that it was a meal fishermen in Brittany, France, routinely ate. "I didn't get seasick," he quipped.

Next Elliott played a tune by his mentor Woody Guthrie, "Ranger's Command." The song's cadence replicates the plodding rhythm of a horseback trip through the desert, with cavalier cowboy lyrics to match: "Come all of you cowboys all over this land/I'll teach you the law of the Ranger's Command/To hold a six shooter, and never to run/As long as there's bullets in both of your guns."

Elliott moved on to "Freight Train Blues" by John Lair. "I've got the freight train blues/ Lordy, lordy, lordy, got 'em in the bottom of my ramblin' shoes," he sang, prolonging the end of each line in imitation of the sound of a freight train whistle.

He followed with Guthrie's "Talking Sailor," a talky story song about becoming "one of the merchant crew" that was inspired by his mentor's experience in the Merchant Marines during World War II.

Throughout the show Elliott got laughs from the audience with his charming personality and keen sense of humor. "Can we dim the lights a tiny bit," he politely asked early in his set. "I feel like I'm at Miami Beach."

He described playing with fellow folk legend Pete Seeger at the Newport festival and, because of his admittedly poor hearing at this point in his life, not understanding what Seeger was singing: "Pete was mumbling into the microphone. I knew it meant a lot to him. It meant a lot to me, too. I just wish I knew what it meant."

He joked about his age as well. "By the way, this is my 78th birthday, not my 80th," he informed the audience. "I'm turning the boat around. It's a good thing, I was getting tired of being 79."

Next came Guthrie's "Talking Columbia," and later Jimmie Rodgers' "Mule Skinner Blues," which featured Elliott appropriately singing, "I like working/I'm rolling all the time."

Elliott brought blues musician Paul Geremia onstage for a solo performance of Gertrude "Ma" Rainey's blues staple "See See Rider" on guitar and harmonica. Geremia met Elliott in 1966 in Canada when Elliott had just returned from England and was sporting "a deerstalker hat, a houndstooth jacket and smoking a Sherlock Holmes-style corncob pipe."

"Paul saved my life two or three times fishing," Elliott explained when he got back on the stage. "I'm a good sailor, but I'm not a very good fisherman."

He played "The South Coast Ballad," a gripping story song by Lillian Bos Ross about a man winning a wife in a game of cards with the woman's father. "I learned this song from the woman that wrote it," he said. "No I didn't. I learned it from (folk musician) Frank Hamilton, who told me about the woman who wrote it."

The staff at the Cultural Center wheeled out a birthday cake for Elliott with two lit candles on it. "It's great to be 2 years old again," he joked. The audience joined in singing "Happy Birthday" to the singer.

Elliott's manager, Gaynell Rogers, read off some birthday messages sent to the folk singer, including one from Kris Kristofferson. His message: "Happy birthday, you old fart."

The set ended with "Don't Think Twice, It's All Right," a Bob Dylan track. Elliott described performing the song at an open-mic night at Gaslight Lounge in New York City. Elliott did an accurate and truly hilarious impression of Dylan's distinct voice as he explained how Dylan poked his head out from a curtain in the back of the room as he sang and said to him, "I relinquish it to you, Jack."

The emotional earnestness and openness of Elliott's voice as he sang this bittersweet tune about "traveling on" made for a truly moving closure for a memorable evening, an evening in which Elliott demonstrated with his inimitable charm and musical chops why he's regarded as a legend in the realm of folk music.

Cultural Center of Cape Cod, South Yarmouth

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110803/LIFE/108030302

"...sporting 'a deerstalker hat... .'" c. JA, 1967 on tour with The Lovin' Spoonful

Warren (User)
Platinum Boarder
graph

diamond sky (User)
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
terrific you made it to the cape, goss.

get well soon.

Warren (User)
Platinum Boarder
graph
Jack Elliott, two days shy of his 80th birthday, and Pete Seeger, 92, were on the same stage at the 2011 Newport Folk Festival. Jack still has pretty good voice whereas Pete's is all but shot. The spirit lives, though.

Here are the two of them (via vinyl rips), 48 years earlier. Elliott leads off with a bit of harmonica and the vocal:

"Billy The Kid"

http://www.sendspace.com/file/47r0z5

And here they are with Ed McCurdy. Great stuff.

"Jesse James"

http://www.sendspace.com/file/qn55o2

gossamerglenn (Visitor)
graphgraph
Birthdate:
yea diamond it was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo great heres a pic from that night
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/284315_10150743824180486_864065485_20342657_885891_n.jpg

Go to top Post Reply